Friday, July 1, 2011

Copyright Issues

Fortunately I have had to learn and deal with copyright issues in the past. I have a BFA and in doing multiple projects that deal with a wide array of commercial and personal images.  I also understand copyright to be very personal to me as an artist. As a graphic designer however more often than not I have had to deal with a lot of pictures that sometimes accounted for a large portion of my hard drive space. Most of the time in a company setting that requires some pictorial representation these companies will invest in buying the rights to use images from places like Getty, istock and Corbis just to name a few.

The above image is an image created by hand (not digitally) which was inspired by a magazine ad. This drawing is a good example of how we can become creative with the images we see without using the actual copyrighted image.

4 comments:

  1. It is great that you already knows how to deal with copyright issues. Me like you, a graphic designer have to know very well the copyright law. That is a very important part in the graphic design work. The best way to get copyright free images is to buy them thru stock images companies. I like your hand drawn image. Sometimes I draw too. Specially for my clients.

    Veronica Santos

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tania,
    Two words stuck out to me in your post...inspired by. As artists do we need to give specific credit to the inspiration? It makes me wonder when so many fields overlap, similar to the Shepard Fairey, who are we accountable to? Explaining this concept to students is a challenge I face every year in the classroom. How much is too much and how much is truly inspired?
    (Beautiful stippling on the drawing!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great discussion among artists! What is inspiration and what is emulation/ copying? I quit art because I questioned my own ability to say something unique and meaningful, without relying so much on others: I referred to myself as a human photocopy machine, not an "artist."

    I think with adaptation and innovation elements of other images can be used. In high school we tried to recreate the Mona Lisa with a new style and setting. It was a fun project and the resulting projects were interesting and funny. A student of mine adapted The Last Supper to include the faces and personas of fast food icons positioned like the the Da Vinci figures. The Mary/ Thomas figure was hilarious as Wendy with the red pigtails. Irreverent and funny. I consider her project creative because she was clever in her adaptations, even playful with the title of the original. But as Tracye said, it is difficult to know where the line is with adaptation and just plain stealing and image like Shepard Fairey did.

    ReplyDelete