Saturday, July 23, 2011

Wk 3 Reading Chapters 5-8


I really enjoyed comparing some of the similarities to how my life operates currently. I try to take something from everything that I read. As I have expressed before I have been exposed to a lot of different ways of thought.

In Chapter 5 talks about leadership, and it is something I have struggled with from my supervisor at work. I sometimes find myself in a reverse role with her and have to really strive to work at being helpful instead of criticizing. She is new to management and I have found myself more often than not trying to find creative ways to communicate and empower her. We have had our struggles because I have more experience in my respective field but declined her position when it was offered to me. I realized that what they were asking me to do for the salary wasn’t worth it in the loss of sleep. She has been open to feed back and she watches what I do with the clients. I always empower them to step up and take a lead role once they get to a place where they don’t think about only themselves and what they aren’t getting. I try to teach them things like gratitude, acceptance, meditation, awareness, humility and service. Confession of their shortcomings and letting go of the need for perfection is an important one. Instead of focusing on perfection we focus of progress. That way it leaves room for knowledge and growth. Keep in mind that I teach adults these things; somewhere life has failed them. I love what I do. Hope is always worth getting up for in the morning!

Rule number 6 reminds me of the book “The 4 Agreements, by Don Ruiz” The first agreement is “Don’t take things personally” Basically, the teaching says that every judgment someone else puts on me is a part of their own belief system. In short, it has nothing to do with me. While it is important to look at our shortcomings, people make mistakes. SO WHAT. Good leadership invites change through alternate action. If everyone was disposable then we would all be unemployed. Plain and simple, correct the action and move on. Or ask yourself. How important is this going to be in 5 years?

Chapter 7 reminds me of a principle that I live by, acceptance. A sometimes situation hurt but learning how to let things move through you instead of sit on you is the way to acceptance of the way things are. When I take things personally I can’t be in acceptance. I start sending a message over and over in my head about being a bad person. I am not a bad person I just made a mistake. I ask myself, what is the solution to this problem. If I am living in the solution then it easy to accept things the way they are, because they can be fixed. Stay positive!

I love chapter 8! We all hold back for fear of rejection. Self-acceptance is the key to allowing our selves to live. Once we can be free of that fear we can live wholly. With each growing phase of our lives we encounter fear. Or, at least I have encountered fear. I am at one of those cross roads now. Everything in my being wants to stay put at the job I am at currently. However, I know what drives me. I have set a goal for my self, if I am not moving towards what I want to be in six months I will move on. My responsibility in that is to have a voice about what I see could happen. I trust that what I have done here at Full Sail will open the necessary doors to fulfilling my passion. It is my responsibility to give way to that.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your insight on these chapters, especially your comment on letting things move through you instead of letting thing sit on you. It is always interesting to read what people have to say because people speak through their experiences, and thank you for your insight. Your comment of correct the action and move on sounds a lot like “don’t fix the blame, fix the problem,” Robert Schuller. That statement rings with resonance. Sometimes we waist a lot of time playing the blame game, that we lose track of what we were doing. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tania,
    I loved your post. The Four Agreements is one of my favorite books and I keep it on my nightstand to look back on every once and again. The way you conduct yourself at work shows a lot about you as a person. I'm sure your supervisor greatly appreciates that you are aware of her situation and show support for her in your own way. You are indeed putting "leading from any chair" into practice. I respect your courage in goal setting and it seems that you have very strong convictions and are sure to do great things in the future.

    ReplyDelete