Saturday, July 30, 2011

Wk 4 Response to Jenney Grover

Wk4 Publishing/Leadership project part 2 of 2: WHY

So where o' where should I present?

Option 1: Well my top choice is ISTE. There is a South Dakota regional Technology In Education (TIE) every year. April 15-17, 2012 in Sioux Falls, SD. But since this is at the state level, it probably won't count. I'll probably still apply as it would be a great excuse over my birthday to go back home!

Option 2: But of course it would be fabulous to present at the annual ISTE conference which will be in San Diego in 2012 (June 24-27).
--- There is a student showcase section that would be great to bring a few students to show their work with Language classroom and technology.
--- Presentation of Research papers (peer-reviewed).
--- Model Lesson would provide an opportunity to show attendees how to students learn in my classroom with Web 2.0 tools and distance learning of language.

The Theme of my presentation could fall under one of these:
--- School Improvements
       --- educational visions
--- Digital Age Teaching & Learning
       --- Achieving the ISTE NETS for students
       --- Differentiated Instruction
       --- Games & Simulations (ideally in the future once I get the game completed)
       --- Language Learning
       --- Multimedia/Video/Digital Storytelling/Newscasting
       --- Podcasting
       --- Technology Integration
       --- Virtual Environments/Virtual Reality (ideally in the future once I get the game completed)
       --- Web 2.0/Web/Internet
--- Virtual Schooling/E-Learning
       --- Developing/Locating Digital Content/Learning Objects
       --- Distance Learning
       --- Instructional Design
      --- Student Engagement/Collaboration/Support
      --- Virtual Learning Technologies
      --- Virtual School Programs

Option 3: AACE - Advanced Computing in Education. October 17-21, 2011 in Honolulu, Hawaii! Well, dang! Who wouldn't want to go to Hawaii! Sign me up!
1. Sector or Application Domains: Informal Learning & K12
2. Major topics relating to or technologically supporting E-Learning.
        Content Development
        Implementation Examples and Issues
        Instructional Design
        Standards and Interoperability
        Tools and Systems
3. Specific Topics Examples:
         Accessibility
         Asynchronous Learning
         Authoring Tools
         Building E-Learning Architectures
         Collaborative Learning
          Developing, Integrating, and Delivering E-Learning Solutions
         Distance Learning
         Electronic Publishing Tools for E-Learning
         Human-Computer Interaction (ideally for the game)
         Multimedia-based E-Learning Systems
         Simulations (ideally for the game)
         Virtual Classrooms (ideally for the game)

After reading this, I'm super excited! Maybe I am smart! Maybe I am worthy to present! However, my big fear is that I'll get up there and hear "that was dumb, pointless, boring, worthless, etc". Guess I shouldn't feel that way since I've already had one HUGE South Dakota company ask me to speak to their researchers about online, distance learning. Guess its the pesky shame-based horrible voice in my head. I think the BEST thing that happened this week was listening to a successful Hollywood actress say that she deals with "the voice" as well. So how do we shut up the voice? Guess maybe continuing to step out of my comfort zone and to keep doing what I'm passionate about. It's my life afterall, and I've already wasted 34 years to this stupid voice! One movie quote (sorry can't remember the movie or the exact wording): if you don't feel like a *** then act like *** and soon your feelings will follow. "fake it til you make it" or "act as if".
***disclaimer: No I am not hearing actual voices. No need to call my counselor aunt nor my counselor friend. No blogger was hurt in the writing of this blog.***

***UPDATE*** As I was preparing some videos to input into my powerpoint, I ran across this option for Second Life. I sure wish the under 18 version was still around. Maybe at some point there will be an educational version for schools. This would be a good venue to talk about how to use Virtual Reality in classroom and how to incorporate worlds into the language learning classroom. This will be on my list for next year.

Tania Shavor said...
I so agree with the AACE conference. This conference sounds more inclusive for people like me who are in corporate world. I especially love that some of the topics there include content development and implementation. I saw a phone the other day that looked as if it was trying to replicate the idea of augmented reality. The dude held his phone up in camera mode and in the air he could see comments that other people had left there with his app. I was like Whoa!! I couldn't help but think that this would be an excellent app for field trips for students, kind of like a real world virtual reality!!

No comments:

Post a Comment