Saturday, July 23, 2011

Wk 3 Response to Anela Dixon

Week 3 blog: Reading Chapter 5-8


I remember when one of my daughter's was around five years old. She looked at me and said she wanted to be a doctor when she grew up.  I was so happy to hear her say those words.  I knew what I needed to do to help her fulfilled her dreams.  However, that fairytale never came true because one of her lovely teacher cast a dark shadow over my daughter's head and told her "if you become a doctor then everyone will die!"  My daughter never told me what that teacher said until years later for the fear of what I may have done.  In the book of The Art of Possibility it talked about a child is an exquisite attention-getting device.  (p. 82).  A child relies on strong leadership to help children to discover who they are and achieve their goals.  However, when that leaders or role models shatter a child’s dreams it affects them.  In adulthood, unless the child has a strong will, they grow up not fulfilling their goals and live their life in a box.  I like the Rule Number 6 “Don’t take yourself so seriously” because I spent most of my life trying to fit in or live my life to someone else expectation. During my undergraduate days I tried to be an overachiever and constantly let myself down.  I had to do a calculating self and ask myself “Why am I not aiming for my goal and what can I do to change this problem?” Once I stop taking life so seriously that’s when I was able to aim for my goal without stressing myself out.  I changed the way I thought of myself from the scarfs of my childhood life and realizing only I control my path. 
 
Tania Shavor said...
I spend 40+ hours a week trying to undo in adults the scars of what mindless comments do to people. I hate hearing stories that the one about your daughter. Whats the saying...."That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Its just a shame that we have to go back and reteach ourselves how to not believe that stuff. Thanks for sharing!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment